Honda’s much anticipated sub 4-meter SUV WRV has been launched at a starting price of (7.75 lacs for base petrol S variant up to 9.90 lacs for top VX variant). The car underpins the same platform as seen in jazz which is quite a success in the hatchback segment. Now Honda wants to try its hand in the compact SUV segment which is the most competitive segment in the Indian automobile industry. Now let’s see what Honda has to offer from its latest offering
Body and design
From front the most striking element is its butch sporty styling which bears no resemblance with the jazz. The signature Honda grill nicely integrates on the front. There is a silver skid plate at the bottom to give it a more rugged look.
From the side WRV resembles of jazz as the door panels are same on both the cars except the thick plastic cladding. The diamond cut alloy wheels look good also there are roof rails which gives it a distinctive look.
The tail lights resemble those of jazz but having an extension towards the boot lid. There is a thick chrome plate above the registration plate. There are skid plates to give it a sporty look.
From Inside WRV is not much different from the jazz there is an all-black scheme. There is nice plastic quality with silver accents around the ac vents and above the dash. There is a new touch screen infotainment system(Digipad system, which was first seen in Honda city) along with push button start which is not present on jazz. There is a multi-function steering wheel. The three rings of the instrument cluster look distinctive with white and blue color combination. Another great feature on the inside is the inclusion of sunroof which is the first in segment.
Under the hood
The WRV is powered by Honda’s tried and tested 1.5L I-DTEC diesel engine and 1.2 L I-VTEC petrol engine.
The diesel-powered car has peak power at 100ps@3600rpm and torque figure of 200nm@1750rpm which is mated to a 6-speed manual transmission. It’s an all-aluminum construction that runs on low friction technology and makes you the smooth operator. The car is having a claimed fuel efficiency of 25.5kmpl. Which is quite impressive.
The petrol-powered car generates peak power at 90ps@3600rpm and torque figure of 110nm @4800rpm. The car is mated to a 5-speed manual transmission. The efficiency of this petrol motor is 17.5kmpl.
There is no automatic transmission on offer.
Suspension and wheels
The suspension is revised and the larger 16 inch wheels and 195/60 profile tires gives the WRV a ground clearance of 188mm. the suspension tweak has also resulted in the increase of wheelbase by 25mm.
This is the area where the car shines as the car is offered with host of features
- Electric Sunroof with One-Touch Open/Close Function & Auto Reverse
- Headlamp Integrated Signature LED DRLs & Position Lamps
- Front Fog Lamps
- R16 Gunmetal Finish Multi-Spoke Alloy Wheels
- Front/Rear Wheel Arch Cladding
- Rear Wiper and Washer
- Advanced Multi-Information Combination Meter with LCD Display & Blue Backlight
- Fuel Consumption Display with Low Fuel Warning
- Outside Temperature Display
- Cruising Range Display
- Front Centre Panel with Premium Piano Black Finish
- Driver side seat height adjustable.
- Automatic climate control
- One Push Start/Stop Button with White & Red Illumination
- Keyless Entry & Central Door Lock
- Cruise Control
- Tilt and Telescopic Steering
- One Touch Lane Change Indicator
Audio and infotainment
- 7cm Advanced Infotainment with Capacitive Touchscreen
- in-built Satellite Linked Turn-by-Turn Navigation
- My Storage Internal Media Memory (1.5GB)
- MirrorLink Support for Smartphone Connectivity
- Internet Access for Browsing, Email & Live Traffic via Optional Wi-Fi Receiver
- Voice Commands for Media, Navigation and Calling
- Smartphone Voice Assistant Activation
- Bluetooth for Handsfree Telephone and Audio Streaming Support
- Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) Body Structure
- Dual SRS Airbags for Driver & Front Passenger
- Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) with EBD
- ECU Immobilizer System
- Day/Night Rear View Mirror
- Intelligent Pedals (Brake Override System)
Variants and pricing
Honda WRV is being offered in only 2 variants S and VX
|Variants||Price (on-road) *|
|S (MT) Petrol||₹ 8,60,984|
|VX (MT) Petrol||₹ 9,99,872|
|S(MT) Diesel||₹ 10,02,126|
|VX(MT) Diesel||₹ 11,37,942|
(* price on-road Delhi)
Premium amber metallic
Modern steel metallic
Golden brown metallic
Albaster silver metallic
Carlenian red pearl
White orchid pearl
|Ground clearance||188 mm|
|Boot space||363 litres|
|Kerb weight||1104(Petrol)/1204 (Diesel)|
Well Honda has launched an overall good package in terms of practicality, safety and convenience. But the thing I did not like about the Honda (not the car) as they were biased about the diesel variant. It seems that they wanted to sell more diesel WRV as compared to petrol. There are many instances such as petrol engine seems underpowered they might have tweaked the engine for better performance, on the equipment front the petrol variant was deprived of push start stop button, cruise control. As of now my choice would be diesel powered WRV as it has better features, powerful engine and practicality.
watch out this space for more info and latest news from the automotive world..